Friday, May 17, 2013

Armor

My armor shines in the sunlight

multifaceted jewels
and metal scales
glistening

But it is armor, none the less

My armor wears a pretty face
an easy smile, graceful poise
and always knows the right thing to say

But it is armor, none the less

Designed to shield and to protect
the delicate inside
a fine glass filament
shimmering
softly colored
barely noticeable
and easily shattered

I am not the easiest woman to love

I have weaponry
logic, reason and denial
I know how to pretend
the armor is all I am

Locked inside a prison
of my own making
I've felt the utter isolation
of never having been seen or known
as myself
Of only having been seen and known
as the outer shell
I’ve pretended to be

My armor
is wearing thin
the fine glass
filament is melting
colors swirl together
a liquid rainbow
iridescent

My armor hardens to glass from the heat

It's falling off of me in pieces
Exposed,
I feel fragile, hopeful
and less alone
each step awkward, imbalanced
by the shifting weight
as more glass falls away

The war is over
The war is over
The war is over

The return to my true self
has begun



2 comments:

flowercake said...

Hi i recently read your story on water birth and I am really inspired. I am a teenager but have recently been really interested in researching about the different ways of child birth thanks for sharing!

Please follow my blog!
flowercakemoon.blogspot.com

lakshmi said...

Hello! I'm pleased you were inspired by reading my story. Obviously, I think waterbirth is a wonderful birthing option--but there are other good ones out there as well. Good luck with your research and thanks for contacting me. I enjoyed hearing from you.

~ Lakshmi